We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Download ITK releases
Find out what's in version 2 of the Interoperability Toolkit.
In some areas, there's a good level of similarity in business process, data requirements and technical alignment. In others, there are competing and, in some cases, incompatible solutions.
The ITK attempts to solve these problems by providing a number of specifications and technologies which are consistent and applicable across a wide range of domains and localities. It's not a piece of software or a downloadable product.
Benefits of the ITK
The ITK aims to:
- reduce NHS expenditure on local system integration projects by standardising technology and interoperability specifications
- reduce complexity in local system integration
- reduce overlap or expenditure from vendors for similar integration projects across NHS organisations by adopting common standards
- reduce delivery times by simplifying integration
- open the market to new entrants, niche suppliers and local teams by defining the standard to develop against upfront
- allow benefits from interoperability to be replicated and scaled up
The ITK uses open international standards and is aligned with HL7 and 'Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise' (IHE).
An ITK conformance means a system supplier has proven that a product has been developed to and tested against ITK specifications.
This service is provided by the Interoperability team. If you have any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Access the latest Interoperability Toolkit (ITK) release 2 component packs, along with supporting information.
The Interoperability Toolkit (ITK) conformance process is designed to be straightforward, focusing on demonstrating conformance to relevant technical specifications and standards.
A collection of software developer resources.