We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
National Record Locator - FHIR API
Locate and access patient information shared by other healthcare organisations using the National Record Locator (NRL) FHIR API.
Use this API to locate and access patient information shared by other healthcare organisations, to support the direct care of those patients, using the National Record Locator (NRL).
As a "provider" who holds information about patients, you can:
- create a pointer in the NRL to your information
- replace your NRL pointer with a newer pointer, superseding the old one
- update your NRL pointer status to "entered in error"
- delete your NRL pointer to this information
As a "consumer" who needs access to the patient information being shared by providers, you can:
- search for information by parameters including information ID, patient, information provider, information type, or number of matching results
- retrieve an NRL pointer and access the information
There is a growing list of health and social care organisations authorised to share records using NRL.
This API is in beta.
This API is a FHIR API.
Specifically, it is based on the HL7 FHIR STU3 Messaging Implementation.
For more details, see FHIR.