We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
e-Referral Service - FHIR API
Create paperless referrals from primary to secondary care using the e-Referral Service (e-RS) FHIR API.
Use this API to create paperless referrals from primary to secondary care with the e-Referral Service (e-RS).
- receive e-referrals from e-RS including the "Referrals for Review" worklist, the Clinical Referral Information (CRI) and any referral attachments - sometimes known as the "referral letter"
- search for services relevant to the selected patient
- create an e-referral with a shortlist of directly or indirectly bookable services
- create an e-referral for a Referral Assessment Service (RAS)
- upload attachments - sometimes known as the "referral letter"
- generate a confirmation letter for the patient
The search limits its results to services which are appropriate for the patient and the referring organisation based on the commissioning rules that apply to the authenticated user and the patient.
API status and roadmap
This API is a FHIR API.
For more details, see FHIR.
For a full list of interactions for this API, see the Endpoint Catalogue.