We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Statistics on Smoking, England 2020Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 8 Dec 2020
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Clinical Commissioning Groups
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2019 to 31 Mar 2020
This report presents newly published information on smoking including:
- Smoking-related hospital admissions from NHS Digital's Hospital Episode Statistics (HES).
- Smoking-related deaths from Office for National Statistics (ONS) mortality statistics.
- Prescription items used to help people stop smoking from prescribing data held by NHS Prescription Services.
- Affordability of tobacco and expenditure on tobacco using ONS economic data.
Two new years of data have been provided for hospital admissions (2018/19 and 2019/20) and deaths (2018 and 2019) and one year of data for prescribing (2018/19) and affordability and expenditure (2019).
The report also provides links to information on smoking by adults and children drawn together from a variety of sources.
Key facts cover the latest year of data available:
- Hospital admissions: 2019/20
- Deaths: 2019
- Prescriptions: 2019/20
Similar to 2018/19 but 10% higher than 2009/10 when it was 461,700
Decrease of 3% from 2018 (77,000) and 9% from 2009 (82,000)
Decrease of 4% from 2018/19 (740 thousand) and 71% from 2009/10 (2.48 million)