We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
This statistical report presents a range of information on alcohol use and misuse by adults and children drawn together from a variety of sources for England unless otherwise stated.
More information can be found in the source publications which contain a wider range of data and analyses. Newly published data includes:
- Alcohol-related hospital admissions published by PHE in their Local Alcohol Profiles for England (LAPE) which uses data from NHS Digital’s Hospital Episode Statistics (HES).
- New analyses of data on affordability of alcohol using already published ONS data.
The latest information from already published sources includes:
- Alcohol-specific deaths published by ONS.
- Information on the volume and cost of alcohol related prescriptions from NHS Digital.
- Adult drinking behaviours from the Health Survey for England (HSE).
- Child drinking behaviours from the Smoking, Drinking and Drug Use Survey (SDD).
- Road casualties involving illegal alcohol levels published by Department for Transport.
- Expenditure on alcohol from the Family Food report from the Living Costs and Food Survey (LCFS).