We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
This statistical report presents a range of information on alcohol use and misuse by adults and children drawn together from a variety of sources for England unless otherwise stated. More information can be found in the source publications which contain a wider range of data and analyses.
Newly published data includes:
- Adult Drinking Habits which is being published by ONS on the same day as this report.
- New analyses of data on affordability of alcohol using already published ONS data.
- Information on the volume and cost of prescriptions from NHS Digital.
The latest information from already published sources includes:
- Alcohol-related hospital admissions published by PHE in their Local Alcohol Profiles for England (LAPE) which uses data from NHS Digital’s Hospital Episode Statistics (HES).
- Alcohol-specific deaths published by ONS.
- Health Survey for England (HSE).
- Smoking, Drinking and Drug Use (SDD).
- Road casualties involving illegal alcohol levels published by Department for Transport.
- Family Food report from the Living Costs and Food Survey (LCFS).
Report also includes information on:
- Alcohol-specific deaths
- Alcohol-related prescriptions
- Drinking behaviours (adults and children)
- Alcohol expenditure and affordability
- Road accidents involving illegal alcohol levels.