This statistical bulletin relates to sickness absence rates for staff at NHS organisations on the Electronic Staff Record (ESR) between January and March 2014. This edition also contains an annual summary of sickness absence rates between 2009-10 and 2013-14.
Sickness Absence Rates in the NHS - January 2014 to March 2014
This is part of Sickness Absence Rates in the NHSOfficial statistics
- Publication date:
- 22 Jul 2014
- Geographic coverage:
- Geographical granularity:
- Country, NHS Trusts, Hospital Trusts, Ambulance Trusts, Primary Care Trusts, Care Trusts, Mental Health Trusts, Regions
- Date range:
- 30 Apr 2009 to 31 Mar 2014
Figures for the latest quarter show:
- Between January and March 2014 the average sickness absence rate for the NHS in England was 4.26 per cent, a decrease from the same period in 2013.
- The North West HEE region had the highest average sickness absence rate for January - March 2014 at 4.87 per cent. North Central and East London HEE region had the lowest average at 3.43 per cent.
- Ambulance Staff were the staff group with the highest average sickness absence rate for January - March 2014 with an average of 6.78 per cent. Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting Learners had the lowest average at 1.10 per cent.
- Amongst types of organisation, Ambulance Trusts had the highest average sickness absence rate for January - March 2014 with an average of 6.34 per cent. Primary Care Trusts had the lowest average rate for this period, with a rate of 2.15 per cent. However, Primary Care Trusts ceased to exist on 1 April 2013 (phasing out of data). Amongst organisations types that were effective for the full period, Clinical Commissioning Groups had the lowest average with a rate of 2.58 per cent.
Figures for the annual summary show:
- The national annual sickness absence rate has fallen each year between 2009-10 to 2011-12. It fell from 4.40 per cent in 2009-10 to 4.16 per cent in 2010-11 to 4.12 per cent in 2011-12. It rose to 4.24 per cent in 2012-13 and then fell to 4.06 per cent in 2013-14.
Last edited: 11 February 2019 4:51 pm