We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Routine Quarterly Mental Health Minimum Data Set (MHMDS) Reports - Final Q4 2012-2013, Summary statistics and related informationOfficial statistics
- Publication Date:
- 26 Jun 2013
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Primary Care Trusts, Mental Health Trusts, Independent Sector Health Care Providers, Clinical Commissioning Groups
- Date Range:
- 01 Jan 2013 to 31 Mar 2013
The MHMDS is a regular return of data generated by providers of adult secondary mental health services in England, in the course of delivering services to patients. From Q1 2011/12 onwards, the MHMDS also includes data from Independent Sector Organisations and is processed using the new system.
Full details of the methods used in processing can be found in the MHMDS Version 4 User Guidance and Appendices (see related links).
The MHMDS dataset is received by the HSCIC as record level anonymised data from patient administration systems, Care Programme Approach systems and Mental Health Act administration systems.
Changes to this publication
From April 2013 the submission of MHMDS data will be made every month, rather than every quarter, to support the implementation of PbR for mental health. From April 2013 NHS wide changes also took place as a result of the Health and Social Care Act 2012. As a result, the frequency and content of this publication will be changing from this point onwards and this publication is the last time the data will be reported on in its current format.
In Q4 MHMDS Final (January to March) 2012/13 data:
- 69 NHS funded providers submitted data for Q4, including 8 independent sector providers.
- Experimental analysis suggests that in Q4 2012/13 75.4 per cent of people considered in scope for PbR had been assigned to a Mental Health Cluster, the currency for mental health PbR, when counted by provider.
- Further provider level experimental statistics are included in this release, including 7 day follow up and analysis of the consistency of information about uses of the Mental Health Act (1983).
In Q4 Community MHA final data England totals remain unchanged from Q4 provisional data:
- The number of home treatment episodes year to date was 120,259;
- The number of assessments by Crisis Resolution team's year to date was 247,854;
- The number of patients receiving Home Treatment year to date was 98,280;
- The number of patients being treated by Early Intervention teams was 21,886 at the end of the quarter;
- The number of people receiving Assertive Outreach services was 19,843 at the end of the quarter.
This publication is the final release of MHMDS and Community MHA data in its current format. Further details will be announced via the HSCIC website (see below).