This bulletin presents a summary of prescriptions dispensed in the community by community pharmacists, appliance contractors and dispensing doctors in England. The bulletin highlights recent changes and the main trends between 1999 and 2009.
Prescriptions Dispensed in the Community - Statistics for England, 1999-2009Official statistics, National statistics
- Publication Date:
- 27 Jul 2010
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Date Range:
- 01 Jan 1999 to 31 Dec 2009
- The net ingredient cost of all prescriptions dispensed increased by 2.6 per cent (£213.9 million) on 2008 to £8,539.4 million; a increase of 61.4 per cent over 1999.
- 886.0 million prescription items were dispensed; an increase of 5.2 per cent (43.5 million items) on 2008 and 67.2 per cent over 1999.
- The average net ingredient cost per prescription item was £9.64. The net ingredient cost per item in 2008 was £9.88 and in1999 was £9.99.
- There were, on average 17.1 prescription items dispensed per head of population compared to 16.4 in 2008 and 10.8 in 1999.
- This publication shows, for the first time, the leading 20 drugs in terms of net ingredient cost and the number of prescription items.
Prescription Cost Analysis
Last edited: 27 June 2018 8:19 am