This bulletin presents a summary of prescriptions dispensed in the community by community pharmacists, appliance contractors and dispensing doctors in England. The bulletin highlights recent changes and the main trends between 1998 and 2008.
Prescriptions Dispensed in the Community - Statistics for England, 1998-2008Official statistics, National statistics
- Publication Date:
- 29 Jul 2009
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Date Range:
- 01 Jan 1998 to 31 Dec 2008
- The net ingredient cost of all prescriptions dispensed decreased by 0.6 per cent to £8,325.5 million.
- 842.5 million prescription items were dispensed; an increase of 5.8 per cent on 2007.
- The leading BNF Chapter in terms of prescription items dispensed is the Cardiovascular System and in terms of net ingredient cost is the Central Nervous System.
- The leading BNF Section in terms of prescription items dispensed is Hypertension and Heart Failure and in terms of net ingredient cost is Drugs used in Diabetes.
- Analysis of prescribing for the elderly and children (based on exemption from the prescription charge) is not available for 2008.
Prescription Cost Analysis
Last edited: 27 June 2018 9:03 am