Prescription Cost Analysis - England, 2018 [PAS]
This is part of Prescription Cost AnalysisNational statistics
- Publication date:
- 28 Mar 2019
- Geographic coverage:
- Date range:
- 01 Jan 2018 to 31 Dec 2018
Prescription Cost Analysis (PCA) provides details of the number of items and the Net Ingredient Cost (NIC) of all prescriptions dispensed in the community in England.
PCA data is now being sourced from a new data warehouse. This move has enabled the NHS BSA to provide data of a higher level of accuracy than was previously possible through the legacy system. Although improved, this does mean that data will differ in some respects to that previously reported. See page 4 of the report for more details.
• In 2018, £8.8 billion was the cost of prescriptions dispensed in the community. A decrease of 3.7% (£336.6 million) from £9.2 billion in 2017
• In 2018, 1.1 billion prescription items were dispensed in the community. An increase of 0.3% (2.9 million) from 1.1 billion in 2017
- Find links to all our prescribing publications and data, plus supporting information and useful websites
- View previous versions of this publication - 1998 to 2003 - from the Department of Health archive website
- Scotland - PCA on the National Services Scotland website
- Wales - PCA on the Welsh Assembly Government website
- Northern Ireland - PCA on the Health and Social Care Northern Ireland website