Find links to all our prescribing publications and data, plus supporting information and useful websites.
Prescribing is the most common patient-level intervention in the NHS, and covers all sectors of care: primary, hospital, public and community health. It is the second highest area of spending in the NHS, after staffing costs.
Our Prescribing team extracts and analyses prescribing data to identify trends and variation, and to support national policy. We produce reports and publications. We work closely with a range of organisations which have an interest in this information, including the NHS Business Services Authority, National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) and the Department of Health.
Our prescribing publications include:
- Medicines and Pregnancy Registry - NHS Digital
- Innovation scorecard: NICE Technology Appraisals in the NHS in England
- Use of NICE appraised medicines in the NHS in England
Previous prescribing publications:
Are currently available from the NHS BSA website at:
Historic data is available at:
- Prescription Cost Analysis
- Prescriptions Dispensed in the Community
- Prescribing Costs in Hospitals and the community (previously Hospital Prescribing)
- Prescribing by Dentists (from 2016 included within Prescription Cost Analysis)
- Prescribing for Diabetes in England
- General Pharmaceutical Services
- Practice Level Prescribing in England data publications
- Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and Primary Care Trust (PCT) prescribing data (on iView)
- Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) prescribing data publications
- Primary Care Trust (PCT) prescribing data publications
Pharmacies and prescribers often use some of our core IT systems.
- Prescribing measures, indicators and comparators
- NHS Business Services Authority Prescription Services
- British National Formulary (BNF)
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE)