We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Find links to all our prescribing publications and data, plus supporting information and useful websites.
Prescribing is the most common patient-level intervention in the NHS, and covers all sectors of care: primary, hospital, public and community health. It is the second highest area of spending in the NHS, after staffing costs.
Our Prescribing team extracts and analyses prescribing data to identify trends and variation, and to support national policy. We produce reports and publications. We work closely with a range of organisations which have an interest in this information, including the NHS Business Services Authority, National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) and the Department of Health.
Our prescribing publications include:
- Prescription Cost Analysis
- Prescriptions Dispensed in the Community
- Prescribing Costs in Hospitals and the community (previously Hospital Prescribing)
- Prescribing by Dentists (from 2016 included within Prescription Cost Analysis)
- Prescribing for Diabetes in England
- Innovation scorecard: NICE Technology Appraisals in the NHS in England
- Use of NICE appraised medicines in the NHS in England
- General Pharmaceutical Services
Open data, put simply, is data that can be accessed, used and shared, by anyone, for any purpose. In accordance with the Open Government Licence, you are free to use the following prescribing data:
- Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and Primary Care Trust (PCT) prescribing data (on iView)
- Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) prescribing data publications
- Practice Level Prescribing in England data publications
- Primary Care Trust (PCT) prescribing data publications
Pharmacies and prescribers often use some of our core IT systems.