This provisional publication of PROMs data includes eligible HES episodes with an episode start date between 1 April 2011 and 31 March 2012 and pre-operative questionnaires with a completion date between 1 April 2011 and 31 March 2012. Where a patient did not record the date that they completed the pre-operative questionnaire, the pre-operative questionnaire scan date is used. Any post-operative questionnaires that are linked to an eligible pre-operative questionnaire and have been sent out to patients, returned and scanned prior to processing (end of October 2012) are included for analysis.
Provisional Monthly Patient Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs) in England - April 2011 to March 2012, Pre- and post-operative data, December 2012 releaseOfficial statistics
- Publication Date:
- 11 Dec 2012
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Country, Strategic Health Authorities, Hospital Trusts, Primary Care Trusts, Independent Sector Health Care Providers
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2011 to 31 Mar 2012
For the coverage period April 2011 to March 2012:
Participation and Coverage
- There were 247,215 eligible hospital episodes1 and 184,759 pre-operative questionnaires returned so far - a headline participation rate of 74.7% (69.9% for 2010-11).
- For the 184,759 pre-operative questionnaires returned, 164,873 post-operative questionnaires were sent out2, of which 125,315 have been returned so far - a return rate of 76.0%3 (81.0% for 2010-11).
Comparing pre- and post-operative 'EQ-5D Index' scores (a combination of five key criteria concerning patients' self-reported general health), an increase in general health was recorded for:
- 49.9% of groin hernia respondents (50.5% for 2010-11)
- 87.4% of hip replacement respondents (86.7% for 2010-11)
- 78.5% of knee replacement respondents (77.9% for 2010-11)
- 53.3% of varicose vein respondents (51.6% for 2010-11)
Comparing pre- and post-operative 'EQ-VAS' values (the current state of the patient's self-reported general health), an increase in general health was recorded for:
- 38.8% of groin hernia respondents (39.1% for 2010-11)
- 63.7% of hip replacement respondents (61.4% for 2010-11)
- 53.7% of knee replacement respondents (50.8% for 2010-11)
- 42.0% of varicose vein respondents (39.8% for 2010-11)
Comparing pre-post operative responses to condition-specific question, improvements in patients' conditions were recorded for:
- [There is no condition-specific scoring for groin hernia patients.]
- 95.8% of hip replacement respondents (95.8% for 2010-11) ['Oxford Hip Score']
- 91.7% of knee replacement respondents (91.4% for 2010-11) ['Oxford Knee Score']
- 83.2% of varicose vein respondents (82.5% for 2010-11) ['Aberdeen Varicose Vein Questionnaire']
Figures produced for this and subsequent publications may differ slightly from previous figures in part because of a change in methodology. Please see the Methodology Change Note for more details.
1. An 'eligible episode' is an episode in HES in the period in question, clinically coded with relevant hip, knee, varicose vein or groin hernia OPCS procedure codes which make it suitable for inclusion into PROMs. Note that some patients may have undergone more than one PROMs procedure in a single eligible episode and those episodes will have been counted here twice; this affects 53 of the 247,215 episodes.
2. Not every pre-operative questionnaire will have a post-operative questionnaire sent out. This may be for a number of reasons including the cancellation of an operation or the death of the patient.
3. This will be an underestimate of the true rate due to the time delay in returning post-operative questionnaires.