For the coverage period 1 April 2017 to 30 September 2017.
Participation and Coverage
- There have been 48,382 PROMs-eligible groin hernia and varicose vein procedures carried out in hospitals1 ,and 24,006 pre-operative questionnaires returned so far, a headline participation rate of 49.6 per cent.
- For the 24,006 pre-operative questionnaires returned, 23,115 post-operative questionnaires were sent out2, of which 11,771 have been returned so far - a return rate of 50.9 per cent3.
Comparing pre- and post-operative 'EQ-5D Index' scores (a combination of five key criteria concerning patients' self-reported general health), an increase in general health was recorded for:
- 51.3 per cent of groin hernia respondents.
- 51.1 per cent of varicose vein respondents.
Comparing pre- and post-operative 'EQ-VAS' values (the current state of the patient's self-reported general health), an increase in general health was recorded for:
- 39.1 per cent of groin hernia respondents.
- 39.6 per cent of varicose vein respondents.
Comparing pre- and post-operative responses to condition-specific questions, improvements in patients' conditions were recorded for:
- There is no condition-specific scoring for groin hernia patients.
- 81.5 per cent of varicose vein respondents ['Aberdeen Varicose Vein Questionnaire']
We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with the mapping tool, we apologise for any inconvenience caused
Web Platform Tool
NHS Digital are using Microsoft's Power Bi to create an interactive web platform tools to surface our data. PROMs data can be accessed by clicking the image below.
- An 'eligible procedure' is counted for each episode in HES in the period in question which has been clinically coded with relevant hip, knee, varicose vein or groin hernia OPCS procedure codes which make it suitable for inclusion in PROMs. Some patients may have undergone more than one PROMs procedure in a single eligible episode, hence there will be more procedures than episodes: this is the case for 201 procedures.
- Not every pre-operative questionnaire will have a post-operative questionnaire sent out, for various reasons including the cancellation of an operation or the death of the patient.
- This will be an underestimate of the true rate due to the time delay in returning post-operative questionnaires.