The Innovation Scorecard reports on the use of medicines and medicine groupings in the NHS in England, which have been positively appraised by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).
NHS Digital has produced and published the Innovation Scorecard as an Official Statistic since January 2013 on behalf of the Office for Life Sciences. It can be used by local NHS organisations to monitor progress in implementing NICE Technology Appraisal (TA) recommendations.
The scorecard is produced using a range of administrative data sources prior to publication and no additional central data collection is involved.
This publication is the third in the series to use the Secondary Care Medicines data that is supplied by Rx-Info and now published by the NHS BSA through their open data portal to provide a richer source of data down to hospital Trust level. This data is not directly comparable with the secondary care data used in previous publications due to variations in the coverage and completeness and changes in some of the prescribing measures used to present volume of use in this publication.
The estimates report has now been replaced with a methodology statement as the figures for estimated expected uptake have been integrated into the national level groupings dashboard. This publication includes an additional 4 medicine groupings, making a total of 13 medicine groupings.
178 medicines reported on, 80% of 162 medicines prescribed more *
13 medicine groupings used to treat major conditions, 11 medicine groupings were used more *
* those medicines with data for each of the latest 8 quarters comparing the 12 months from July 2020 to June 2021 (to the previous 12 months). Year on year comparisons of the volume of medicine use may have been impacted by the effects of COVID.
Reported as Defined Daily Doses (DDD), Actual Daily Doses (ADD), mgs, vials, tablets, units, implants, pads, interventions or pens/syringes per 100,000 population or QOF register in England
Source: NHS Digital
• English Prescribing Dataset (EPD) published by the NHS Business Services Authority
• Secondary Care Medicines Data (SCMD) published by the NHS Business Services Authority
• Hospital Episode Statistics (HES) and Quality Outcomes Framework (QOF) data from NHS Digital
• Mid-year population estimates from Office for National Statistics
Last edited: 28 April 2022 9:31 am