The Innovation Scorecard reports on the use of medicines and medical technologies in the NHS in England, which have been positively appraised by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).
NHS Digital has produced and published the Innovation Scorecard as an Official Statistic since January 2013 on behalf of the Office for Life Sciences. It can be used by local NHS organisations to monitor progress in implementing NICE Technology Appraisal (TA) recommendations.
We produce the scorecard using a range of existing administrative data sources prior to publication and no central data collection is involved.
This publication introduces the use of the Secondary Care Medicines data that is supplied by Rx-Info and now published by the NHS BSA through their open data portal to provide a richer source of data down to hospital Trust level. This data is not directly comparable with the secondary care data used in previous publications due to variations in the coverage and completeness and changes in some of the prescribing measures used to present volume of use in this publication.
The estimates report was delayed due to a data quality issue. It was published on Wednesday 23rd June. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
184 medicines reported on 71% of 170 medicines prescribed more *
9 medicine groupings used to treat major conditions 5 medicine groupings were used more *
* those medicines with data for each of the latest 8 quarters comparing the 12 months from January 2020 to December 2020 (to the previous 12 months)
Reported as Defined Daily Doses (DDD), Actual Daily Doses (ADD), mgs, vials, tablets, units, implants, pads, interventions or pens/syringes per 100,000 population or QOF register in England
Conditions covered by medicine groupings:
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Hepatitis C
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Severe Asthma
- Smoking Cessation
- Stroke (Separate medicine groupings for stroke by care setting i.e. GP and hospital, DOAC Primary and DOAC Secondary)
Source: NHS Digital
• English Prescribing Dataset (EPD) published by the NHS Business Services Authority
• Secondary Care Medicines Data (SCMD) published by the NHS Business Services Authority
• Hospital Episode Statistics (HES) and Quality Outcomes Framework (QOF) data from NHS Digital
• Mid-year population estimates from Office for National Statistics
Last edited: 23 June 2021 12:03 pm