We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
NHS Staff - 1999-2009, OverviewOfficial statistics
- Publication Date:
- 25 Mar 2010
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Country, Strategic Health Authorities
- Date Range:
- 30 Sep 1999 to 30 Sep 2009
Please note: Revisions were made as follows on 12 January 2011 to certain GP figures for 2009 published on 25 March 2010, to correct miscoding of GP type. The NHS IC apologises for any inconvenience caused.
- National headcount totals for 'GP Providers' and 'Other GPs' were revised from 28,607 to 27,613 and from 7,310 to 8,304 respectively. The National level total figure for 'All Practitioners' remains unchanged at 40,269 and no other national level headcount figures are affected.
- National full time equivalents totals for 'GP Providers' and 'Other GPs' were revised from 26,245 to 25,378 and from 5,866 to 6,733 respectively. The National level total figure for 'All Practitioners' remains unchanged at 36,085 and no other national level full time equivalent figures are affected.
All NHS Staff refers to those directly employed by the NHS in Hospital and Community Health Services (HCHS) and by GP practices contracted to the NHS. It excludes high street dentists and ophthalmic practitioners.
This publication is made up of three main staff group areas, which can be found by following the links: