NHS Payments to General Practice - England, 2017/18Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 20 Dec 2018
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Clinical Commissioning Groups, GP practices, Clinical Commissioning Regions, Regions, Country
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2017 to 31 Mar 2018
NHS Payments to General Practice, England 2017/18 provides information on NHS payments to individual providers of general practice services in England. Figures are given for the main payment categories - which include Global Sum, Balance of PMS expenditure, Quality Outcomes Framework (QOF) and Enhanced Services.
It is not a record of the amount of money available for direct patient care, nor the total invested in patient care through general practice. Instead, it constitutes the majority of actual monies paid to practices for all activities and costs during the 2017/18 financial year.
£9,050.6 million was paid across 7,543 general practice service providers in 2017/18. Of this, the largest payments were for:
- Global Sum and Balance of PMS Expenditure which accounted for £3,449.0 million and £1,576.2 million respectively
- £798.8 million for premises payments
- £716.1 million was paid for the Quality and Outcomes Framework
Nationally the NHS paid on average £152.04 per registered patient. (Average payments per patient at CCG, region or national level should be treated with caution as some patients may be double-counted – for example due to practice closure – while conversely no information relating to patient list size is known for 108 practices. Please refer to the Patient List Size in the Accuracy and Reliability section of the Data Quality Statement for more detail.)