We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
NHS Dental Statistics for England - 2016-17Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 31 Aug 2017
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Country, Local Authorities, Regions, Clinical Commissioning Groups
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2016 to 30 Jun 2017
This annual report includes information on patients receiving NHS dental care in England for the 12 month period to 31 March 2017. Subjects covered include dental activity, clinical treatments and dental workforce.
Information on the number of patients seen by an NHS dentist up to 30 June 2017 is also included.
• There were 39.9 million Courses of Treatment (CoT) delivered in 2016-17, 241,989 (0.6 per cent) more than the number of CoT delivered in 2015-16.
• In the 24 month period ending 30th June 2017, 22.2 million adult patients were seen by an NHS dentist, representing 51.4 per cent of the adult population.
• The number of children seen by an NHS dentist in the 12 months up to 30th June 2017 was 6.8 million. This equates to 58.2 per cent of the child population.
• Scale and Polish remains the most frequent treatment delivered to adults (excluding examinations) with 13.1 million CoT and a 46.0 per cent share of all clinical treatments in 2016-17.
• Excluding examinations, children were most likely to receive a Fluoride Varnish Treatment with 4.7 million delivered during 2016-17. This is a 13.9 per cent (572,206) increase from 2015-16.
• 24,007 dentists performed NHS activity during 2016-17. This is a decrease of 82 (0.3 per cent) on 2015-16.
This tool is in Microsoft PowerBI which does not fully support all accessibility needs. If you need further assistance, please contact us for help.