We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
NHS Dental Statistics for England - 2015-16Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 23 Sep 2016
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Country, Local Authorities, Regions, Clinical Commissioning Groups
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2015 to 31 Mar 2016
Due to processing errors on data received found after publication, data for patients seen were corrected and republished on 10th January 2017.
This annual report includes information on patients receiving NHS dental care in England for the 12 month period to 31 March 2016. Subjects covered include dental activity, clinical treatments and dental workforce.
Information on the number of patients seen by an NHS dentist up to 30 June 2016 is also included.
- There were 39.7 million Courses of Treatment (CoT) delivered in 2015-16, 70,837 (0.2 per cent) more than the number of CoT delivered in 2014-15.
- In the 24 month period ending 30th June 2016, 22.1 million adult patients were seen by an NHS dentist, representing 51.8 per cent of the adult population.
- The number of children seen by an NHS dentist in the 12 months up to 30th June 2016 was 6.7 million. This equates to 58.0 per cent of the child population.
- Scale and Polish remains the most frequent treatment delivered to adults (excluding examinations) with 13.0 million CoT and a 45.6 per cent share of all clinical treatments in 2015-16.
- Children were most likely to receive a Fluoride Varnish Treatment (excluding examinations) with 4.1 million delivered during 2015-16. This is a 20.3 per cent (696,286) increase from 2014-15.
- 24,089 dentists performed NHS activity during 2015-16. This is an increase of 142 (0.6 per cent) on 2014-15.