We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
NHS Dental Statistics for England - 2012-13Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 17 Sep 2013
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Country, Strategic Health Authorities
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2012 to 31 Mar 2013
** 13th May 2014
It was identified that the patient charges data were incorrect in the first version of this publication. In Annex 1, the data in table 6a were incorrect for dates prior to 2012/13. Data were also incorrect in the Report (Table 6a and corresponding text), Annex 2 (PCT and SHA - Table F2) and Annex 4 (Raw Data). This has now been revised. The errors are fully documented in Annex 5. Please contact email@example.com for further information. **
**Please note; "patients seen" data for the period ending 30 June 2013 are under-reported in this publication. Since the release of these figures we have discovered that there is a gap in the coverage of the underlying data. This is attributed to practices which opened between 1 April 2013 and 30 June 2013. As they could not be attributed to PCTs, which were the organisational basis of the dataset, the data for these new practices was mistakenly not included. The impact of this under-reporting is small, representing less than 0.2 per cent of the national total.
Revised data for the period ending 30 June 2013 will be provided in the first quarterly report for 2013/14, to be published on 6 December 2013. We apologise for any confusion caused by this error.
This annual report includes information on all patients that receive NHS dental care in England for the twelve-month period to 31 March 2013. Subjects covered include: dental activity, clinical treatments, orthodontic activity and dental workforce.
Information on the number of patients seen by an NHS dentist for the 24-month period up to 30 June 2013 is also included.
- 29.8 million patients were seen in the 24-month period ending June 2013, an increase of 1.6 million on the March 2006 baseline.
- 39.3 million CoT were delivered in 2012-13, a decrease of 249 thousand (0.6 per cent) on the previous year.
- Fluoride varnishtreatments continue to rise, by 45.4 per cent for children and 31.7 per cent for adults. For children, this treatment is now the third most common treatment item, behind examinationsandfillings and sealant restorations.
- 23 thousand dentists performed NHS activity during 2012-13, an increase of 281 (1.2 per cent) on 2011-12 and 3,041 (15.1 per cent) more than 2006-07.