We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Inpatients Formally Detained in Hospitals under the Mental Health Act 1983 and Other Legislation, NHS Trusts, Care Trusts, Primary Care Trusts and Independent Hospitals - 2006-2007Official statistics, National statistics
- Publication Date:
- 19 Dec 2007
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 1996 to 31 Mar 2007
This bulletin is an annual publication which summarises information about people detained under the 1983 Mental Health Act in NHS facilities, including high security psychiatric hospitals, and independent hospitals. It includes figures for the period 1996-97 to 2006-07.
September 08: Please note that the figures for 'detentions subsequent to admission' in Table 2 on page 4 for the years 2005-06 and 2006-07 will be revised in the forthcoming 2007-08 publication. The totals for 'all detentions' in Table 2 on page 4 will also need to be revised. No other tables are affected.
Year to 31 March 2007
- the number of detentions under the Act rose to 48,000 in 2006-07 from 47,400 in 2005-06. Formal admissions rose to 27,700 in 2006-07 from 27,400 in 2005-06
- 92 per cent of all formal admissions in 2006-07 were to NHS hospitals. 87 per cent of all formal admissions were to NHS hospitals under Part II of the Act
- in 2006-07 there were 20,400 detentions after informal admission to hospital. This compares with 20,000 in 2005-06
- the number of Place of Safety Orders involving assessment in hospital increased by 8 per cent from 5,900 in 2005-06 to 6,400 in 2006-07. This followed a 16 per cent rise in 2005-06 and an 14 per cent rise in 2004-05
- in 2006-07, 74 per cent of all Place of Safety Orders in NHS facilities ended in an informal status
- court and prison disposals were 1,900 in 2006-07, the same as in 1996-97, and have risen 11 per cent compared to 2005-06 (1,700)
- the rate of detentions in NHS hospitals under the Act (including detentions after admission) in 2006-07 in England was 96 per 100,000 population
- At 31 March 2007, there were 15,300 patients detained in hospital, of which 12,200 were in NHS facilities and 3,100 in independent hospitals. The number in independent hospitals shows an increase of 24 per cent from 2005-06