We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Hospital Outpatient Activity, 2015-16National statistics
- Publication Date:
- 1 Dec 2016
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Strategic Health Authorities, Hospital Trusts, Independent Sector Health Care Providers, Regions, NHS Trusts, Country
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2015 to 31 Mar 2016
This is a report on outpatient activity in English NHS hospitals and English NHS-commissioned activity in the independent sector. This annual publication covers the financial year ending March 2016. It contains final data and replaces the provisional data that are published each month.
The data are taken from the Hospital Episodes Statistics (HES) data warehouse. HES contains records of all admissions, appointments and attendances for patients admitted to NHS hospitals in England.
This publication includes analysis of more than 100 million outpatient appointments recorded in HES data during the 12 month period. A number of breakdowns are provided including by patient's age, gender, whether the appointment was attended or not and by provider. Note that this report counts the number of outpatient appointments rather than the number of patients.
The purpose of this publication is to inform and support strategic and policy-led processes for the benefit of patient care. This document will also be of interest to researchers, journalists and members of the public interested in NHS hospital activity in England.
· In 2015-16, there were 113.3 million outpatient appointments, of which 89.4 million were attended by patients.
· The number of outpatient appointments has nearly doubled since 2005-06, rising from 60.6 million appointments to 113.3 million in 2015-16. The number of attended appointments has also risen significantly, from 50.0 million in 2005-06 to 89.4 million in 2015-16.
· Patients aged 60 to 79 years accounted for over 30 per cent (28.1 million) of all attendances.
· Women accounted for 51.7 million attendances, compared to 37.6 million attendances for men.