We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Hospital Episode Statistics, Admitted Patient Care - England, 2014-15National statistics
- Publication Date:
- 25 Nov 2015
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Strategic Health Authorities, Independent Sector Health Care Providers, Hospital Trusts, Country, NHS Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups, Provider, Regions
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2014 to 31 Mar 2015
This is a report on inpatient activity in English NHS hospitals and English NHS-commissioned activity in the independent sector. This annual publication covers the financial year ending March 2015. It contains final data and replaces the provisional data that are published each month.
The data are taken from the Hospital Episodes Statistics (HES) data warehouse. HES contains records of all admissions, appointments and attendances for patients admitted to NHS hospitals in England. The HES data used in this publication are called 'finished consultant episodes', and each episode relates to a period of care for a patient under a single consultant at a single hospital. Therefore this report counts the number of episodes of care for admitted patients rather than the number of patients. This publication shows the number of episodes during the period, with a number of breakdowns including by patient's age, gender, diagnosis, procedure involved and by provider.
The purpose of this publication is to inform and support strategic and policy-led processes for the benefit of patient care. This document will also be of interest to researchers, journalists and members of the public interested in NHS hospital activity in England.
- There were 18.7 million Finished Consultant Episodes (FCEs) recorded, an increase of 3.1 per cent from 2013-14.
- Of these episodes, 12.2 million (64.9 per cent) were ordinary episodes (including delivery episodes) and 6.6 million (35.1 per cent) were day cases.
- 60.5 per cent of FCEs involved some form of procedure or intervention, with 95.0 per cent of day case episodes involving a procedure or intervention.
- There were 15.9 million Finished Admission Episodes (FAEs) recorded, an increase of 2.8 per cent from 2013-14.
- There were 6.1 million admissions from waiting lists (including booked), compared to 5.8 million in 2013-14, an increase of 5.1 per cent.
- There were 5.6 million emergency admissions compared to 5.4 million in 2013-14, an increase of 3.7 per cent.
 Excludes 'planned' admissions where the admission was deferred for medical or social reasons