We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Hospital Episode Statistics, Admitted Patient Care, England - 2013-14National statistics
- Publication Date:
- 28 Jan 2015
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Independent Sector Health Care Providers, Hospital Trusts, Country, NHS Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups, Provider, Regions
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2013 to 31 Mar 2014
Update (02 November 2015) Data Quality Note. An error was identified and corrected in tables 'Organisations with data extracted on 20 June 2014' and 'Organisations with shortfalls / missing data' of the annual Data Quality Note, where providers who had corrected their shortfalls since the provisional HES publication had not been updated. This was not an error in the data, only in the data quality note.
Update (01 July 2015) the Provider-level analysis file has been updated to include a small amount of data missing in error from the sheet named 'Table B_1314' B only. This had no impact on the front 'output' sheet.
Update (26 March 2015) Provider Level Analysis released.
Update: (25 February 2015) the summary report containing headline figures has been replaced by detailed analysis and additional Excel files have been released.
Hospital Episodes Statistics (HES) is a data warehouse containing records of all patients admitted to NHS hospitals in England. It contains details of every hospital stay in English NHS Hospitals and English NHS commissioned activity in the independent sector.
This publication is released in three phases:
January 2015 - Headline figures published ; February 2015 - Detailed analysis published ; March 2015 - Provider level analysis published
- There were 18.2 million Finished Consultant Episodes (FCEs) recorded, an increase of 2.5 per cent from 2012-13.
- Of these episodes, 11.8 million (65.2 per cent) were ordinary episodes (including delivery episodes) and 6.3 million (34.8 per cent) were day cases.
- 60.7 per cent of FCEs involved some form of procedure or intervention, with 95.2 per cent of day case episodes involving a procedure or intervention.
- There were 15.5 million Finished Admission Episodes (FAEs) recorded, an increase of 2.1 per cent from 2012-13.
- There were 5.8 million admissions from waiting lists (including booked)1, compared to 5.6 million in 2012-13, an increase of 3.6 per cent.
- There were 5.4 million emergency admissions compared to 5.3 million in 2012-13, an increase of 1.5 per cent.
1 Excludes 'planned' admissions where the admission was deferred for medical or social reasons.