We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Hospital Episode Statistics, Admitted Patient Care - England, 2011-12National statistics
- Publication Date:
- 1 Nov 2012
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Independent Sector Health Care Providers, Hospital Trusts, Country, NHS Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups, Provider, Regions
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2011 to 31 Mar 2012
Hospital Episodes Statistics (HES) is a data warehouse containing records of all patients admitted to NHS hospitals in England. It contains details of every hospital stay in English NHS Hospitals and English NHS commissioned activity in the independent sector. The Kennedy report recommended that HES should be "supported as a major national resource for the monitoring of a range of healthcare outcomes".
Note: (04/02/13) An update to the Hospital Episode Statistics: Admitted Patient Care 2011-12 Summary Report has been published. Chart 3 has been updated to include 2011-12 data.
Note: (28/01/13) An update to the Hospital Episode Statistics: Admitted Patient Care 2011-12 Summary Report has been published. This updates and corrects the 2011-12 figure for bariatric surgery for obesity to include new OPCS 4.6 procedure codes that were introduced in April 2011
- There were 17.5 million Finished Consultant Episodes (FCEs) recorded in 2011-12, an increase of 1.1 per cent from 2010-11. Of these episodes, 11.5 million (66.1 per cent) were ordinary episodes (inc. delivery episodes) and 5.9 million (33.9 per cent) were day cases.
- 59.6 per cent of FCEs involved some form of procedure or intervention, with 94.8 per cent of day case episodes involving a procedure or intervention.
- There were 15.0 million Finished Admission Episodes (FAEs) recorded in 2011-12, an increase of 0.9 per cent from 2010-11.
- There were 5.5 million admissions from waiting lists (inc. booked) in 2011-12, compared to 5.4 million in 2010-11, an increase of 2.0 per cent.
- There were 5.2 million emergency admissions in 2011-12, compared to 5.3 million in 2010-11, a decrease of 0.8 per cent.