Hospital Episodes Statistics (HES) is a data warehouse containing records of all patients admitted to NHS hospitals in England. It contains details of more than 14 million episodes of patient care (finished consultant episodes) per year. The Kennedy report recommended that HES should be "supported as a major national resource for the monitoring of a range of healthcare outcomes".
Hospital Episode Statistics, Admitted patient care - England, 2005-06Official statistics, National statistics
- Publication Date:
- 13 Dec 2006
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Strategic Health Authorities, Primary Care Organisations, Hospital Trusts
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2005 to 31 Mar 2006
- A decrease in average length of stay from 7.1 days to 6.6 days between 2004-05 and 2005-06, which continues a long term trend.
- Common procedures in 2005-06 include
- 287,144 cataract operations 6.2 per cent fewer than 2004-05
- 84,914 hip replacement operations-2.4 per cent more than 2004-05
- 21,344 coronary artery bypass grafts (CABGs)- 8.1 per cent fewer than 2004-05
- 55,195 percutaneous transluminal operations on the coronary artery (PTCAs) 10.6 per cent more than 2004-05
- The average (mean) time waited decreased between 2004-05 and 2005-06 to 78 days from 84 days, and the median time waited decreased from 52 to 51 days.
Last edited: 11 April 2018 4:21 pm