We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
HES-DID Data Linkage Report - Provisional Summary Statistics, April 2014 to September 2014, England (Experimental Statistics)Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 6 Feb 2015
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2014 to 30 Sep 2014
This is the latest statistical publication of linked HES (Hospital Episode Statistics) and DID (Diagnostic Imaging Data set) data held by the Health and Social Care Information Centre. The HES-DID linkage provides the ability to undertake national (within England) analysis along acute patient pathways to understand typical imaging requirements for given procedures, and/or the outcomes after particular imaging has been undertaken, thereby enabling a much deeper understanding of outcomes of imaging and to allow assessment of variation in practice.
This publication aims to highlight to users the availability of this updated linkage and provide users of the data with some standard information to assess their analysis approach against.
The two data sets have been linked using specific patient identifiers collected in HES and DID. The linkage allows the data sets to be linked from April 2012 when the DID data was first collected; however this report focuses on patients who were present in the either data set in the period 01 April 2014 to 30 September 2014 only. For DID this is provisional April 2014 - September 2014 data. For HES this is provisional April 2014 - September 2014 data.
The linkage used for this publication was created on 30 January 2015 and released together with this publication on 6 February 2014. The linkage utilises all historic HES patient identifying data up to 31 December 2014 and all patient identifying DID data submitted prior to 18 Dec 2014
- 19.6 Million Imaging procedures were recorded in the Diagnostic Imaging data set as having taken place during the period 01 April 2014 to 30 September 2014, it was possible to link 17.6 Million of these records to individuals in Hospital Episode Statistics data set.
- 3.1 Million patients who were admitted to hospital at least once during the period were identified as having at least one imaging procedure during the same period
- 3.7 Million patients who had at least one accident and emergency attendance during the period were identified as having at least one imaging procedure during the same period
- 6.5 Million patients who had at least one outpatient appointment during the period were identified as having at least one imaging procedure during the same period.