Skip to main content
National Statistics
Publication, Part of

Guardianship under the Mental Health Act 1983 - England, 2007

Official statistics, National statistics
Publication Date:
Geographic Coverage:
Geographical Granularity:
Country, Regions, Councils with Adult Social Services Responsibilities (CASSRs), Government Office Regions, Local Authorities
Date Range:
31 Mar 2000 to 31 Mar 2007


Between 31 March 2000 and 31 March 2007:

  • the number of guardianship cases in force at the end of the year (926) was 7 per cent lower than at its peak in 2000
  • the number of new cases opened in 2007 (427) has decreased by 36 per cent (245) compared with 2000 (672), and also showed a decrease of 5 per cent compared with 2006.

Key Facts

  • 428 guardianship cases were closed and 427 new cases opened, resulting in 926 cases being open at the end of the year
  • in 99.7 per cent cases, guardianship was conferred on the local authority, with the remaining cases (0.3 per cent) conferred on a named individual or other organisation
  • for cases closed during 2006-07 the average length of guardianship was 18 months. Of these cases 71 per cent were for over 6 months and 29 per cent for 6 months or less. There was considerable variability in average case length by Local Authority, ranging from 1 to 64 months
  • the 427 new cases opened in the year to 31 March 2007 are small in number in comparison with formal detentions in hospital, under the Mental Health Act 1983, 47,400 in 2005-06.


Last edited: 11 April 2018 4:16 pm