The latest GP Earnings and Expenses Enquiry provides a detailed study of the earnings and expenses of both contractor and salaried GPs in the UK in 2006/07, the third year of the new General Medical Services (nGMS) contract.
The Initial Report for 2006/07 was published in October 2008. This Final Report for 2006/07 supersedes this and contains additional information on earnings and expenses by age of GP, practice size, Government Office Region, Strategic Health Authority (for the first time) and rurality. This report includes final figures for salaried GPs - these have changed from the provisional figures published in the Initial Report. It also includes new figures for combined GPs (contractor and salaried GPs).
Results are based on data from HM Revenue and Customs' tax self assessment database. They can be found in each section of the report as follows:
- Section A: National Averages for Contractor, Salaried and Combined GPs
- Section B: Country Level Breakdown for Contractor and Salaried GPs
- Section C: Distributional Results for Contractor and Salaried GPs
- Section D: Detailed Results for Contractor and Salaried GPs
- Section E: Time Series on Contractor GPs
This report has been agreed by the Technical Steering Committee (TSC), which is chaired by the NHS Information Centre (NHS IC) and has representation from the four UK Health Departments, NHS Employers and the British Medical Association.