This publication shows information about services provided by community pharmacies in England and Wales in contract with Primary Care Trusts (PCTs) and Local Health Boards (LHBs) to dispense NHS prescriptions between 1998-99 and 2007-08.
General Pharmaceutical Services in England - 1998/1999 to 2007/2008Official statistics, National statistics
- Publication Date:
- 25 Nov 2008
- Geographic Coverage:
- England, Wales
- Geographical Granularity:
- Country, Strategic Health Authorities, Primary Care Trusts, NHS Health Boards
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 1998 to 31 Mar 2008
- NHS Business Services Authority and Health of Wales Information Service reports show that there were 10,998 community pharmacies in England and Wales at 31 March 2008, compared to 10,839 at 31 March 2007, an increase of 159. The number for England was 10,291 compared to 10,133 at 31 March 2007 an increase of 158 (1.6 per cent).
- the number of prescription items dispensed by community pharmacies in England and Wales in 2007-08 was 785.4 million. There was an increase of 40.4 million (5.4 per cent) from 2006-07 when the figure was 745.0 million.
- dispensing fees received by community pharmacies in England and Wales increased by £41.7 million to £808.8 million in 2007-08. However, the average net ingredient cost (NIC) per fee has decreased by 47p to £9.82.
- between 1 April 2007 and 31 March 2008, Primary Care Trusts and Local Health Boards reported that 198 new pharmacies opened and 26 closed.
- at 31 March 2008, 61 per cent of community pharmacies in England and Wales were owned by multiple contractors with Doncaster PCT recording the highest figure at 88 per cent and Islington PCT the lowest at 18 per cent.
- 25,229 local enhanced services were provided by community pharmacy contractors in England and Wales in 2007-08 with a 19 per cent increase in Stop Smoking services.
- a total of 1,012,161 Medicines Use Reviews (MURs) were conducted by community pharmacists in England and Wales in 2007-08. The number for 2005-06 (the first year of the new community pharmacy contract) was 152,854 and in 2006-07 had increased to 589,810.
Last edited: 27 June 2018 10:15 am