This publication shows information about community pharmacy contractors (community pharmacies) and appliance contractors in England, and the NHS services they provided, between 2003-04 and 2012-13. It includes only community pharmacies and appliance contractors on a Primary Care Trust (PCT) pharmaceutical list to dispense NHS prescriptions under the NHS (Pharmaceutical Services) Regulations 2005 and 2012.
General Pharmaceutical Services in England - 2003/2004 to 2012/2013Official statistics, National statistics
- Publication Date:
- 20 Nov 2013
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Country, Strategic Health Authorities, Primary Care Trusts
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2003 to 31 Mar 2013
- NHS Business Services Authority reports show that there were 11,495 community pharmacies in England at 31 March 2013, compared to 11,236 at 31 March 2012, an increase of 259 (2.3 per cent). There has been an increase of 1,736 (17.8 per cent) since 2003-04.
- The number of prescription items dispensed by community pharmacies in England in 2012-13 was 914.3 million compared to the 82.6 million items dispensed in general practices and 6.9 million by appliance contractors. This was an increase of 29.3 million (3.3 per cent) from 2011-12, and 317.8 million (53.3 per cent) from 2003-04.
- There were 122 appliance contractors on the pharmaceutical list as at 31 March 2013, of which 118 were actively dispensing between 1 April 2012 and 31 March 2013, dispensing 6.9 million items. Since 2003-04 this is a decrease of 28 appliance contractors actively dispensing but an increase of 4.5 million items dispensed.
- A total of 2.8 million Medicines Use Reviews (MUR) were conducted by community pharmacies in England in 2012-13, compared to 2.4 million in 2011-12, an increase of 386,287 (15.9 per cent).
- The number of local enhanced services commissioned from community pharmacies in 2012-13 was 28,507, a decrease of 776 (2.7 per cent) compared with 29,283 in 2011-12 and an increase of 11,587 (68.5 per cent) since 2005-06. Of the twenty types of service commissioned by PCTs the most commonly commissioned services in 2012-13 were Stop Smoking (20.2 per cent), Supervised Administration (18.8 per cent), Minor Ailment Scheme (12.1 per cent) and Patient Group Direction (11.7 per cent).
Last edited: 15 November 2019 10:30 am