We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
General Ophthalmic Services, Workforce Statistics, England and Wales - 31 December 2015Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 9 Mar 2016
- Geographic Coverage:
- Wales, England
- Geographical Granularity:
- NHS Health Boards, Regions
- Date Range:
- 31 Dec 2005 to 31 Dec 2015
This report shows the number of ophthalmic practitioners (Optometrists and Ophthalmic Medical Practitioners) who were authorised, by NHS England regions in England and Local Health Boards (LHB) in Wales, to carry out NHS funded sight tests as at 31 December each year.
This report shows that as at 31 December 2015:
• There were 12,136 ophthalmic practitioners. This is an increase of 309 (2.6 per cent) since 2014.
• 98.0 per cent of practitioners were Optometrists; the remainder (2.0 per cent ) were Ophthalmic Medical Practitioners (OMPs). These are similar percentages to the previous year.
• There were 22.3 practitioners per 100,000 population, a slight increase from last year's 21.8
• 47.0 per cent (5,698) practitioners were male and 53.0 per cent (6,438) practitioners were female. The 2005 breakdown was 56.6 per cent male and 43.4 per cent female practitioners.
• There were 818 ophthalmic practitioners, an increase of 42 (5.4 per cent ) from the previous year.
• 99.1 per cent of practitioners were Optometrists; the remainder were Ophthalmic Medical Practitioners (OMPs) (0.9 per cent ).
• There were 723 practitioners (88.4 per cent ) on a Local Health Board (LHB) Supplementary List, with the remaining 95 practitioners (11.6 per cent ) on an Ophthalmic List.
• There were 26.5 practitioners per 100,000 population, an increase from last year's 25.1.
• 47.1 per cent (385) practitioners were male and 52.9 per cent (433) were female. The 2005 breakdown was 56.0 per cent male and 44.0 per cent female practitioners.