We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
General Ophthalmic Services, Workforce Statistics, England and Wales - 31 December 2014Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 24 Mar 2015
- Geographic Coverage:
- Wales, England
- Geographical Granularity:
- Regional health body, NHS Health Boards, Regions
- Date Range:
- 31 Dec 2004 to 31 Dec 2014
This report shows the number of ophthalmic practitioners (Optometrists and Ophthalmic Medical Practitioners) who were authorised, by NHS England Area Teams (AT) in England and Local Health Boards (LHB) in Wales, to carry out NHS funded sight tests as at 31 December each year.
This report shows that as at 31 December 2014:
- There were 11,827 ophthalmic practitioners. This is an increase of 370 (3.2 per cent) since 2013.
- 97.7 per cent of practitioners were Optometrists; the remainder (2.3 per cent) were Ophthalmic Medical Practitioners (OMPs). These are similar percentages to the previous year.
- There were 22.0 practitioners per 100,000 population, a slight increase from last year (21.3).
- 5,606 (47.4 per cent) practitioners were male and 6,221 (52.6 per cent) practitioners were female. The 2004 breakdown was 56.2 per cent male and 43.8 per cent female practitioners.
- There were 776 ophthalmic practitioners, a decrease of 5 (0.6 per cent) from the previous year.
- 99.1 per cent of practitioners were Optometrists; the remainder were Ophthalmic Medical Practitioners (OMPs) (0.9 per cent).
- There were 678 practitioners (87.4 per cent) on a Local Health Board (LHB) Supplementary List, with the remaining 98 practitioners (12.6 per cent) on an Ophthalmic List.
- There were 25.2 practitioners per 100,000 population, a slight decrease from the previous year (25.3).
- 369 (47.6 per cent) practitioners were male and 407 (52.4 per cent) were female. The 2004 breakdown was 55.1 per cent male and 44.9 per cent female practitioners.