We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
General Ophthalmic Services, Workforce Statistics, England and Wales - 31 December 2012Official statistics, National statistics
- Publication Date:
- 19 Mar 2013
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Strategic Health Authorities, Primary Care Organisations, Primary Care Trusts
- Date Range:
- 31 Dec 2002 to 31 Dec 2012
This publication shows the number of ophthalmic practitioners (Optometrists and Ophthalmic Medical Practitioners) who were authorised, by Primary Care Trusts (PCTs) in England and Local Health Boards (LHBs) in Wales, to carry out NHS funded sight tests as at 31 December each year.
As at 31 December 2012
• There were 11,133 ophthalmic practitioners. This is an increase of 327 (3.0 per cent) since 2011.
• 97.3 per cent of practitioners were Optometrists; the remainder (2.7 per cent) were Ophthalmic Medical Practitioners (OMPs), these are similar percentages to the previous year.
• There were 21.0 practitioners per 100,000 population, a slight increase from last year (20.3).
• 5,400 (48.5 per cent) practitioners were male and 5,733 (51.5 per cent) practitioners were female. The 2002 breakdown was 57.7 per cent male and 42.3 per cent female practitioners.
• There were 809 ophthalmic practitioners, an increase of 41 (5.3 per cent) from the previous year.
• 98.3 per cent of practitioners were Optometrists; the remainder were OMPs (1.7 per cent). These are similar percentages to the previous year.
• There were 562 practitioners (69.5 per cent) on an LHB Supplementary List, with the remaining 247 practitioners (30.5 per cent) on an Ophthalmic List.
• There were 26.4 practitioners per 100,000 population, a slight increase from the previous year (25.1).
• 414 (51.2 per cent) practitioners were male and 395 (48.8 per cent) were female. The 2002 breakdown was 58.1 per cent males and 41.9 per cent females.