This publication shows the number of ophthalmic practitioners (Optometrists and Ophthalmic Medical Practitioners) who are authorised by Primary Care Trusts in England and Local Health Boards in Wales to carry out NHS funded sight tests as at 31 December from 2000 to 2010
General Ophthalmic Services, Workforce statistics, England and Wales - 31 December 2010
This is part of General Ophthalmic services workforce statisticsOfficial statistics
- Publication date:
- 4 May 2011
- Geographic coverage:
- Wales, England
- Geographical granularity:
- Date range:
- 01 Jan 2000 to 31 Dec 2010
The 'Key facts' on this page were changed on 17th May 2011 to correct two errors: '286' changed to '386' (bullet 1), 'decrease' changed to 'increase' (bullet 3). All documents are unchanged.
As at 31 December 2010
- There were 10,409 ophthalmic practitioners. This is an increase of 386 (3.9%) since 2009
- There were 20.1 practitioners per 100,000 population, an increase from last year (19.3).
- There were 756 ophthalmic practitioners, an increase of 45 (6.3%) on the previous year.
- There were 25.2 practitioners per 100,000 population, an increase from the previous year (23.7).