We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
General Ophthalmic Services, Consultation tables, NHS sight tests, Vouchers, Workforce, Premises - 2004-2005Official statistics, National statistics
- Publication Date:
- 30 Nov 2005
- Geographic Coverage:
- Great Britain
- Geographical Granularity:
- Country, Strategic Health Authorities, Primary Care Organisations
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 1995 to 31 Mar 2005
The publication presents Ophthalmics time series data for 1995-96 to 2004-05. It covers the:
- number of NHS sight test
- number of vouchers for spectacles paid for by Primary Care Trusts (PCTs)
- number of practitioners under contract with PCTs in England, Local Health Boards (LHB) in Wales and Health Boards in Scotland
- number of premises during the period
The publication is for Great Britain, with information for England, Wales and Scotland being shown separately.
11.74 million sight tests were paid for by PCTs and their equivalents in Great Britain in 2004-05. This was 2.9% more than the total for 2003-04 (11.41 million).
Vouchers for 4.33 million pairs of glasses were reimbursed by PCTs and their equivalents in Great Britain in 2004-05, an increase of 2.6% from 4.22 million in 2003-04.