We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Dental Working Hours, Scotland - 2008-09 and 2009-10, Experimental statisticsOfficial statistics
- Publication Date:
- 26 Oct 2010
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Date Range:
- 06 Apr 2008 to 05 Apr 2010
This report provides information on dental working hours for dentists in Scotland in 2008/09 and 2009/10 who performed some NHS activity. Information on average weekly hours, NHS weekly hours, weeks of annual leave and the division of time between NHS and private dentistry, and clinical and non-clinical work, is presented.
The results are presented for Principal Dentists (those who are owners, directors or partners of a dental practice) and for Associate Dentists (those who are self-employed and enter into an agreement with a Principal Dentist, that is neither partnership nor employment).
This report was produced by The NHS Information Centre for health and social care, and The Dental Working Group. This is the first year that The NHS Information Centre has produced working hours data for dentists in Scotland. As such, this report carries the label "Experimental Statistics". Experimental Statistics are new statistics that are undergoing evaluation. We therefore welcome comments on this report.
- Overall, Health Service dentists (full and part-time) reported working an average of 38.1 hours per week in dentistry, of which 29.2 hours (76.6 per cent) were devoted to NHS dental services. The remainder, 23.4 per cent, was accounted for by private dentistry
- On average, Principal Dentists worked more weekly hours (40.9 hours) than Associate Dentists, at 35.2 hours. Principal Dentists reported spending 71.8 per cent of their time on NHS dentistry (29.4 NHS weekly hours); for Associate Dentists this measure was 82.4 per cent (29.0 weekly Health Service hours)
- Male dentists worked more weekly hours (40.9 hours on average) than female dentists (33.7 weekly hours). Men reported spending 74.4 per cent of their time on NHS dentistry, equivalent to 30.5 weekly Health Service hours; for women this proportion was 80.7 per cent (27.2 weekly Health Service hours)
- There is regional variation in the proportion of total time spent on NHS dentistry. Dentists in the West region reported the highest NHS share (86.2 per cent) and dentists in the North region reported the lowest (54.9 per cent)
- Overall, dentists reported that their time spent on dentistry was split by 85.7 per cent on clinical work and 14.3 per cent on non-clinical work (including administrative and management duties).