We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Dental Working Hours, Northern Ireland - 2010-11 and 2011-12, Experimental statisticsOfficial statistics
- Publication Date:
- 3 Oct 2012
- Geographic Coverage:
- Northern Ireland
- Geographical Granularity:
- Country, Regional health body
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2010 to 31 Mar 2012
This report provides information on dental working hours for dentists in Northern Ireland in 2010/11 and 2011/12 who performed some Health Service activity. Information on average weekly hours, weekly Health Service hours, weeks of annual leave and the division of time between Health Service and private dentistry, and clinical and non-clinical work, is presented.
The results are presented for Principal Dentists (those who are owners, directors or partners of a dental practice) and for Associate Dentists (those who are self-employed and enter into an agreement with a Principal Dentist, that is neither partnership nor employment). This report was produced by the Health and Social Care Information Centre and the Dental Working Group. This is the second time year that the Health and Social Care Information Centre has produced working hours data for dentists in Northern Ireland and, as such, this report carries the label "Experimental Statistics". Experimental Statistics are new statistics that are undergoing evaluation. We therefore welcome comments on this report.
- Overall, GDS dentists (full and part-time) reported working an average of 38.7 hours per week in dentistry, of which 29.9 hours (77.2 per cent) were devoted to Health Service dental services. The remainder, 22.8 per cent, was accounted for by private dentistry.
- On average, Principal Dentists worked more weekly hours (43.0 hours) than Associate Dentists, at 35.2 hours. Principal Dentists reported spending 73.4 per cent of their time on Health Service dentistry (31.6 weekly Health Service hours); for Associate Dentists this measure was 80.8 per cent (28.5 weekly Health Service hours).
- Overall, dentists reported that their time spent on dentistry was split by 79.7 per cent on clinical work and 20.3 per cent on non-clinical work (including administrative and management duties).
- Between 2008/09 and 2011/12 there was a gradual increase in the average weekly hours of Principal and Associate dentists. In addition, both groups of dentists reported an increase on the time they spent on Health Service dentistry (compared to private work) and a decrease in the average time spent on clinical work.