We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Dental Working Hours, England and Wales - 2010-11 and 2011-12Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 22 Aug 2012
- Geographic Coverage:
- England, Wales
- Geographical Granularity:
- Country, Strategic Health Authorities
- Date Range:
- 06 Apr 2010 to 05 Apr 2012
This report provides information on dental working hours for dentists in England and Wales in 2010/11 and 2011/12 who performed some NHS activity. Information on average weekly hours, weekly NHS hours, weeks of annual leave and the division of time between NHS and private dentistry, and clinical and non-clinical work, is presented.
The results are presented for Providing-Performer dentists (those who held a contract with a Primary Care Trust or Local Health Board and also performed dental services) and for Performer Only dentists (those who performed dental services but did not hold such a contract).
This report was produced by The Health and Social Care Information Centre, and The Dental Working Group.
- Overall, NHS dentists (full and part-time) reported working an average of 37.5 hours per week in dentistry, of which 28.1 hours (74.8 per cent) were devoted to NHS dental services. The remainder, 25.2 per cent, was accounted for by private dentistry.
- On average, Providing-Performer dentists worked more weekly hours (41.9 hours) than Performer Only dentists, at 35.9 hours. Providing-Performers reported spending 64.8 per cent of their time on NHS dentistry (27.1 weekly NHS hours); for Performer Only dentists this measure was 79.2 per cent (28.4 weekly NHS hours).
- Overall, dentists reported that their time spent on dentistry was split by 82.7 per cent on clinical work and 17.3 per cent on non-clinical work (including administrative and management duties).
- Between 2006/07 and 2011/12 there were gradual increases in the average weekly hours of all dentists, as well as the time spent on NHS dentistry. Over the same time period, there was also a gradual increase in the proportion of time spent on non-clinical work (including administration). This means that despite the increase in average weekly hours, the average weekly time spent on clinical work by dentists changed little between 2006/07 and 2011/12.