We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Dental Earnings and Expenses, England and Wales - 2006-07Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 16 Sep 2008
- Geographic Coverage:
- England, Wales
- Geographical Granularity:
- Regional health body
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2006 to 31 Mar 2007
The Dental Earnings and Expenses report provides a detailed study of the earnings and expenses of General Dental Services (GDS) and Personal Dental Services (PDS) dentists in England and Wales in 2006/07, the first year of the new contractual arrangements for NHS dentists in these countries.
Results are based on anonymised tax data for dentists with an accounting year ending in the final quarter of 2006/07. Unless stated otherwise, all averages in the report relate to both full and part-time dentists with varying levels of earnings from the NHS and private work.
This report has been produced by The NHS Information Centre for Health and Social Care (IC). A joint working group, with representation from the NHS Information Centre, the Department of Health (DH), the Welsh Assembly Government (WAG), the British Dental Association (BDA), the secretariat for the Review Body on Doctors' and Dentists' Remuneration (DDRB) and the NHS Business Services Authority Dental Services Division (DSD), was consulted on the content of the report.
- average net profit after expenses (before income tax) for all dentists in 2006/07 was £96,135. Providing- performer dentists had an average net profit of £134,827 compared to £69,442 for performer only dentists
- average expenses of all dentists in 2006/07 were £110,120. Providing-performer dentists had average expenses of £219,042 compared to £34,975 for performer only dentists
- average gross earnings of all dentists in 2006/07 were £206,255. Providing-performer dentists had average gross earnings of £353,869 compared to £104,417 for performer only dentists
- the type of contract that providing-performer dentists worked on affected their earnings and expenses. Those on GDS contracts earned an average net profit of £117,083, compared to £172,494 and £199,545 for those on PDS and mixed GDS/PDS contracts, respectively.
- the report also considers earnings and expenses in terms of the working patterns of dentists, their age and gender, their level of orthodontic activity and the Strategic Health Authority they work in
- as a result of the new contractual arrangements and other changes to the methodology, it is difficult to make comparisons with previous results for dental earnings and expenses under the old contract. In addition, these latest results may be affected by transitional payment issues.