Data on Written Complaints in the NHS 2019-20 Quarter 2 [NS]National statistics
- Publication Date:
- 5 Dec 2019
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Ambulance Trusts, Care Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups, Hospital and Community Health Services, Hospital Trusts, Hospital Sites, Independent Sector Health Care Providers, Mental Health Trusts, NHS Trusts
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2015 to 30 Sep 2019
This quarterly collection is a count of written complaints made by (or on behalf of) patients. Data are collected via the KO41a and are for complaints about NHS Hospital and Community Health Services (HCHS) in England. The data relates to the complaints arrangements introduced in April 2009.
The NHS complaints procedure is the statutorily based mechanism for dealing with complaints about NHS care and treatment and all NHS organisations in England are required to operate the procedure.
As well as quarterly reports NHS Digital also produce an annual report, a link to the 2018-19 annual NHS written complaints publication is provided below which also includes complaints about GP and Dental services.
To ensure that this collection is delivering the maximum amount of value for the minimum burden on NHS organisations, NHS Digital will be carrying out a review and consultation of all its complaints collections and publications within the next three months. A link to the consultation hub will be included here when the consultation is launched.
We welcome feedback on the methodology and tables within this publication. Please email us with your comments and suggestions, clearly stating 'NHS Written Complaints' as the subject heading, via firstname.lastname@example.org or 0300 303 5678
For the period 1 July – 30 September 2019 (Q2):
- There were 29,625 new HCHS written complaints compared to 28,849 in 2019-20 Q1.
- Over the period 28,154 complaints were resolved, of these 8,670 (30.8 per cent) were upheld, 9,468 (33.6 per cent) were partially upheld and 10,016 (35.6 per cent) were not upheld.