We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Compendium of Neurology Data, England - 2012-13Other reports and statistics
- Publication Date:
- 20 Mar 2014
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- NHS Trusts, Hospital Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2012 to 31 Mar 2013
Please note: An error was discovered within the published CCG level analysis spreadsheet (published 27th June 2014) which relates to the fourth bullet point within the key facts; the figure provided related to where the treatment took place and this should have referred to the CCG of responsibility. This file (Compendium of Neurology Data, England - 2012-13: Provider level analysis) was now been corrected and updated on 31st October 2014. The HSCIC apologises for any inconvenience this may cause our users.
Please Note: On 27 June 2014 additional analysis materials have been added to the publication.
These documents, named Compendium of Neurology Data, England - 2012-13: CCG level analysis and Compendium of Neurology Data, England - 2012-13: Provider level analysis, show Clinical Commissioning Group and NHS Provider level figures respectively and incorporate all of the data sources used in this publication to give an at-a-glance view of the performance a chosen CCG or Provider mapped against National outcomes.
Data are presented in a range of formats and users can select an organisation from a list and all available data will auto-populate the sheet.
Please note: An error was discovered within the published workforce data within this publication (Compendium of Neurology Data, England - 2012-13, published 20 March 2014) on the 16th May 2014. The error relates to data published within tables 3 and 4, tables 1 and 2 were correct. This file (Compendium of Neurology Data, England - 2012-13: Workforce data tables) has now been corrected and updated. The HSCIC apologises for any inconvenience this may cause our users.
This report has been commissioned by NHS England to develop an understanding of the Neurology data available already within the health care system, in order to promote service improvement and to meet a commitment made by David Nicholson to the Public Accounts Committee in 2011. As a consequence of the recent changes to the health and care system, NHS England has inherited this commitment from the Department of Health.
The information presented within this report represents and brings together the accessible Neurology data from various data sources, thereby creating this report "Compendium of Neurology data".
- There were a total of 17,715,046 Finished Admission Episodes (all) in 2012-13.
- There were 1,213,975 (FAEs) with a mention of a neurological conditions, representing 6.9 per cent (of all FAEs).
- Of these, 521,773 (or 43 per cent) had a primary diagnosis of a neurological condition.
- Emergency FAEs for with a mention of a neurological condition accounted for 717,585 admissions.
- Of these, 245,594 admissions had a primary diagnoses for a neurological condition.
- For all specialties there were 94,091,748 outpatient appointments in 2012-13 of these 75,455,584 (or 80.2 per cent were attended).
- There were 1,447,422 outpatient appointments in 2012-13 for Neurology and of these 1,091,585 (or 75.4 per cent were attended).
- There were a total of 615,137 distinct people, who had an outpatient appointment for a neurological condition, of these 45.1 per cent (or 277,184 people) had one outpatient appointment in the year, whilst 11.3 per cent (or 69,262 people) had 10 or more appointments.
- A third of all CT scans are for inpatients with a diagnosis mention of a neurological condition with 1,104,310 imaging events (of all imaging events 3,348,650).