Cervical Cervical Screening Programme - Coverage Statistics [Management Information]
- Publication Date:
- 23 Jul 2020
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Country, Clinical Commissioning Groups, GP practices, Local Authorities
- Date Range:
- 31 Mar 2017 to 31 Mar 2020
This publication was last updated 23 July 2020 - with data for Quarter 4 2019-20.
In 2019, the delay in time to receipt of data was reduced from six months to two months. NHS Digital and Public Health England worked together to reduce the lag in data availability.
Women between the ages of 25 and 64 years are invited for regular cervical screening under the NHS cervical screening programme. Coverage is defined as the percentage of women eligible for screening at a given point in time who were screened adequately within a specified period (within 3.5 years for women aged 25 to 49, and within 5.5 years for women aged 50 to 64).
Information in this quarterly publication is presented at primary care, clinical commissioning group (CCG) and local authority levels. Data are published in three separate online interactive dashboards.
Why is this needed and what is the purpose?
- This online resource will help support the programme to be effective in achieving its aim to reduce the number of women who develop invasive cervical cancer and reduce the number of women who die from it.
- The primary care level data pack provides data for GP practices and CCGs to improve cervical screening attendance and coverage rates.
- The data provided is primarily at GP practice level and CCG but also local authority level where appropriate.
- Data is provided on how the practices compare within the CCG and nationally in relation to cervical screening coverage.
- The data will support the CCGs in local improvements and setting priorities in relation to cervical screening.
Who is it for?
- For GP practices the resource provides interactive data on the number of women in each practice that have not had a smear test but remain eligible for screening in the practice. This data supports practices to identify the size of the cohort to address.
- For CCGs the resource provides interactive coverage data on the practices within the CCG. It also provides a CCG comparison and identifies areas for prioritisation and improvement.
- For local authorities the resource provides interactive coverage data on their area and identifies areas for improvement and areas to focus health promotion initiatives.
- To find out more general information on the NHS cervical screening programme and resources to help support initiatives to help women decide if they would like to take up their cervical screening invitation, please use the links below:
NHS cervical screening programme:
In order to access the dashboard and its functionality, one of the following internet browsers is required
• Microsoft Edge
• Internet Explorer 11
• Chrome desktop latest version
• Safari Mac latest version
• Firefox desktop latest version
Dashboards can be accessed by clicking the links above, or via the links in the resources section below.
What data is available in the interactive dashboard?
The dashboards present data for screening coverage at two age groups, 25 to 49 and 50 to 64 years, which are obtained from monthly reports produced by the Open Exeter system (hosted by NHS Digital). The dashboard also includes data for the number of women eligible and screened at each GP practice, CCG and local authority.