We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Breast Screening Programme, England - 2005-06National statistics, Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 23 Mar 2007
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Country, Government Office Regions, Regions, Local Authorities
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2005 to 31 Mar 2006
This publication shows national data on breast screening. The NHS Breast Screening Programme is now saving 1,400 lives every year in England. Breast cancer is one of the top 10 causes of death for women in England.
This publication covers data starting with those invited and ending with the various outcomes, one of which is cancer.
At 31 March 2006
- 75.9 per cent of women aged 53-64 resident in England had been screened at least once in the previous three years (75.5 per cent last year).
- In 248 of the 303 primary care organisations (PCOs), the coverage was 70 per cent or higher (244 last year).
- Of the women aged 50-64 invited, 75.4 per cent were screened, an increase of 0.4 per cent from 2004-05
- 1.63 million women aged 45 and over were screened within the programme, over the last ten years the programme has grown from 1.06 million women screened (aged 45 and over) to 1.63 million, a 50 per cent increase.
- More cancers were detected in 2005-06 than in any previous year, 13 per cent more than in 2004-05, 62 per cent more than in 2000-01 and 143 per cent more than ten years ago. Over 13,500 cases of cancer were diagnosed in women screened aged 45 and over, of which 8,824 were diagnosed in the target age group 50-64.