We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Community Care Statistics, Social Services Activity, England - 2015-16National statistics, Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 5 Oct 2016
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Country, Regions, Councils with Adult Social Services Responsibilities (CASSRs), Local Authorities
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2015 to 31 Mar 2016
The comparator dashboard accompanying this publication was reissued on 30 November 2016. The latest version now uses the most up to date nearest neighbour data available from CIPFA, therefore some comparator groups in the dashboard have changed. The data reported for each local authority remains unaffected.
On 20 October 2016 the following files, replaced on 7 October 2016 due to a perceived error, were returned to their original state:
- 2014-15 National Tables, England
- 2014-15 Regional Tables, North West
The files uploaded on 7 October 2016 understated the number of carers in LTS003 by 110; this has now been rectified and no other tables were affected. The 2014-15 CSV file and reference data supersedes any previous files. Two new documents have also been added to support analysis and benchmarking of 2014-15 data:
- 2014-15 Council level and Regional data
- 2014-15 Comparator Dashboard
On 7 October 2016, the following three files relating to the prior year (2014-15), were replaced due to errors identified in the original files:
- 2014-15 CSV file and reference data.
- 2014-15 National Tables, England.
- 2014-15 Regional Tables, North West.
This is a report on the social care activity of Councils with Adult Social Services Responsibilities (CASSRs) in England between 1 April 2015 and 31 March 2016. It contains aggregate information mainly taken from council administrative systems used to record the process of assessing eligibility to state funded social care and providing services where people are eligible. This is the second year of the SALT (Short and Long Term) collection and councils were provided with the opportunity to revise their 2014-15 data; as such, some data has been updated from last year. The report explains that only some of the councils who would have liked to review the data had the technology and resources to do so. Given this, caution should be taken in reviewing year on year trends.
- There were 1,811,000 requests for support from new clients, which had reached the stage of having a known outcome to that request (referred to within SALT as a sequel) during the reporting period. 28 per cent of these were from clients aged 18-64, with the remaining 72 per cent from clients aged 65 and over.
- There were 245,000 completed instances of Short Term Support to Maximise Independence, for new and existing clients during the reporting period.
- There were 873,000 clients receiving long term support during the reporting period.