This information standard supports the national surveillance programme managed by Public Health England in respect of Healthcare Associated Infections (HCAI):
- Meticillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus(MRSA)
- Meticillin susceptible Staphylococcus aureus(MSSA)
- Clostridium difficile infection (CDI)
- Escherichia coli (E. coli)
The data are used to:
- identify trends in the prevalence of HCAI
- monitor progress on infection control
- provide epidemiological evidence to inform action to reduce HCAI
- provide information to the public to support patient choice.
This information standard is published under section 250 of the Health and Social Care Act 2012. An Information Standards Notice (see below) provides an overview of scope and implementation timescales, and the other documents provide further detail for those who have to implement the information standard.