Notes and data sources
As a secondary uses data set MSDS re-uses clinical and operational data for purposes other than direct patient care. It defines the data items, definitions and associated value sets extracted or derived from local information systems and sent to NHS Digital for analysis purposes.
MSDS sets out national definitions for the extraction of data including:
- mother’s details
- mother’s booking, pregnancy and diagnosis details
- care contacts and activities
- mother’s labour and activity details
- anonymous assessments and findings
- baby’s details
- hospital provider spells (inpatient stays in hospital during the pregnancy)
- header and reference data.
MSDS v2.0 is an update to the data set that introduces a new structure and content, including clinical terminology. It also mandates the submission of all maternity records in scope of the data set, including records that are held on paper which must be submitted in the required electronic format.
Find more information about MSDS.
Last edited: 12 May 2022 10:49 am