National Diabetes Audit - Report 2 Complications and Mortality, 2017-18Audit, Survey, Other reports and statistics, Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 13 Dec 2019
- Geographic Coverage:
- England, Wales
- Geographical Granularity:
- NHS Trusts, Primary Care Organisations, Hospital Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups, Country, Strategic Health Authorities, Primary Care Trusts, NHS Health Boards, Local Authorities, GP practices, Dental practices, Pharmacies and clinics
- Date Range:
- 01 Jan 2016 to 31 Mar 2018
The National Diabetes Audit (NDA) is part of the National Clinical Audit and Patient Outcomes Programme (NCAPOP) which is commissioned by the Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership (HQIP) and funded by NHS England and the Welsh Government. The NDA is managed by NHS Digital in partnership with Diabetes UK.
The NDA measures the effectiveness of diabetes healthcare against NICE Clinical Guidelines and NICE Quality Standards, in England and Wales. The NDA collects and analyses data for use by a range of stakeholders to drive changes and improvements in the quality of services and health outcomes for people with diabetes.
Report 2a covers complications and mortality associated with diabetes. It does not include diabetic eye disease or hypoglycaemia because the NDA does not currently have access to reliable data for these areas. Other cardiovascular and diabetes specific complications are included.
Report 2b investigates associations between patient characteristics and adverse outcomes. For the first time, the impact of changes to lifestyle and treatment have been estimated for both the person with diabetes and diabetes services.
Report 2a has been divided into three main sections:
1. Cardiovascular complications
2. Diabetes specific complications
Report 2b has been divided into six main sections:
1. Outcomes and characteristics
2. Identifying the most significant associations
3. What might be the impact of changes in lifestyle and treatment targets?
4. Variation by commissioner (Clinical Commissioning Group / Local Health Board)
5. Severe Mental Illness (SMI) and outcomes
6. Learning Disability (LD) and outcomes