This is a report on admitted patient care activity in English NHS hospitals and English NHS-commissioned activity in the independent sector. This annual publication covers the financial year ending March 2018. It contains final data and replaces the provisional data that are released each month.
The data are taken from the Hospital Episodes Statistics (HES) data warehouse. HES contains records of all admissions, appointments and attendances for patients at NHS hospitals in England. The HES data used in this publication are called 'Finished Consultant Episodes', and each episode relates to a period of care for a patient under a single consultant at a single hospital. Therefore this report counts the number of episodes of care for admitted patients rather than the number of patients. This publication shows the number of episodes during the period, with a number of breakdowns including by patient's age, gender, diagnosis, procedure involved and by provider.
Hospital Adult Critical Care (ACC) data are now included within this report, following the discontinuation of the 'Hospital Adult Critical Care Activity publication. The ACC data tables are not a designated National Statistic and they remain separate from the APC data tables. The ACC data used in this publication draws on records submitted by providers as an attachment to the admitted patient care record. These data show the number of adult critical care records during the period, with a number of breakdowns including admission details, discharge details, patient demographics and clinical information.
The following additional analyses are included in this report for the first time:
• Finished Consultant Episodes by Index of Multiple Deprivation (IMD)
• Finished Consultant Episodes by Ethnic Category
The purpose of this publication is to inform and support strategic and policy-led processes for the benefit of patient care. This document will also be of interest to researchers, journalists and members of the public interested in NHS hospital activity in England.
• In 2017-18, 20.0 million Finished Consultant Episodes (FCEs) were recorded, an increase of 1.5 per cent from the previous year and 30.4 per cent from ten years ago.
• 16.6 million Finished Admission Episodes (FAEs) were recorded in 2017-18. This is an increase of 0.5 per cent from the previous year and an increase of 23.3 per cent from 2007-08.
• There were 291,836 critical care records used in this analysis in 2017-18, an decrease of 0.5 per cent from 2016-17 (293,170 records).